Smarter Together Site Vienna
The SMARTER TOGETHER project demonstration area in Vienna covers the traditional urban district of Simmering. With area of 1.5 km2 and some 21 ,300 inhabitants, it is located in the south-eastern outskirts of the city combining traditional industrial sites and large agricultural areas. As part of the project three buildings are being renovated in Simmering - that of the non-profit property developer BWSG (485 apartments) and two municipal buildings (147 apartments) (52 apartments). The renovations will include thermal and energy measures, photovoltaics (PV), solar thermal energy, energy-saving lighting systems and e-bikes with charging stations. A local high school will also be modernised and expanded by a zero-energy physical exercise hall.
Altogether 75 000 square meters will be renovated and around 6 million kWh energy will be saved which corresponds to the energy consumption of around 700 households. Moreover, the total savings of carbon dioxide will amount to approximately 550 tons and each household will save 400 euros per year.
The measures that will be implemented include:
- Connecting more users to district heating (DH)
- Integrating solar thermal energy and waste heat to DH
- Local shared heating - integration of solar thermal energy and heat storage
- Introducing e-mobility in the factory premises of the local Siemens plant and in postal delivery
- E-car sharing
- Informing and involving residents through an Urban Living Lab - info-point at the Simmering market and workshops in collaboration with local partners