Smart and Inclusive Solutions for a Better Life in Urban Districts
The European lighthouse cities Vienna (Austria), Munich (Germany) and Lyon (France), the follower cities Santiago de Compostela (Spain), Sofia (Bulgaria) and Venice (Italy), the observer cities Kiev (Ukraine) and Yokohama (Japan) come together to improve citizens’ quality of life. SMARTER TOGETHER will prepare the ground for large-scale replication and ensure an in-depth knowledge transfer about setting up of smart city business models and user-centric innovation in order to contribute to positive societal dynamics.
To deliver smart and inclusive solutions and to improve citizen’s quality of life SMARTER TOGETHER sets out to find the right balance between smart technologies on one hand and organisational and governance dimensions on the other. While people ensure sustainability, industry - the necessary technology, governance ensures large-scale replication through its systematic approach and institutional learning.
The three lighthouse cities, all large and dynamic cities of similar size, will focus on five concrete areas of co-created and replicable integrated smart solutions:
- Living labs for citizen engagement
- District heating and renewable energies for low energy districts
- Holistic refurbishment for low energy districts addressing public as well as private housing
- Smart Data management platform and smart services for integrated infrastructures
- E-mobility solutions for sustainable mobility.
SMARTER TOGETHER strives to:
- Outperform European 2020 targets in large scale demonstration
- Implement smart city business models, foster job creation and business acceleration
- Actively pursue user-centric innovation
- Establish a holistic low energy district approach
- Develop flexible and reliable next generation district heating
- Create citizen-oriented data platforms
- Provide e-mobility solutions for various urban processes
Lyon, Munich and Vienna aim to provide their citizens with:
- more than 143.067 m2 of refurbished housing estate with an energy and CO2 reduction of more than 50%
- 17,2 MW of newly installed renewable capacity in the districts
- 15 new e-mobility solutions saving 95,5 T/years of CO2
- over 1500 created jobs